Calyxt is seeking a highly motivated and result-oriented research scientist to join our plant gene editing team. The successful candidate will have an opportunity to work in a team environment and interact with experts in genome engineering, molecular biology, cell biology and controlled environment with a mission of generating precise genome modifications in various crops.
Candidates must have demonstrated excellence and experience in plant cell biology applied to tissue culture, genetic transformation and delivery of gene editing reagents. Candidate must have the ability to independently design and conduct experiments for new projects. Due to the fast-paced environment, candidates must have the ability and enthusiasm to manage several projects. The individual needs to have excellent communication skills, be detail oriented, maintain excellent records of experiments performed, and note problems and recommend solutions.
- Develop and optimize protocols for transformation and delivery of gene editing reagents in a range of crops
- Collaboratively work across research functions to design, build and test vectors and other reagents to increase transformation and gene editing efficiencies in the current crop pipeline
- Support innovation and work in multifunctional teams to conceive, test and validate new technologies to bring in-house
- Contribute to the execution of established protocols to produce gene edited plants
- Train staff and write new protocols for research and production
- Report the activities of staff and the completion status of projects at regular intervals
- PhD with + 2-year experience in a related field, or MS + 4 years of academic or industry experience, or BS in a related scientific field with + 8 years of academic or industry experience
- Excellent organization (e.g. notebook keeping) and communication skills
- Strong project management skills
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to compile and analyze data to develop metrics that support decision-making
- Industry experience preferred