Calyxt is seeking a highly motivated and results-oriented leader to join our R&D organization. The Controlled Environment & Field Operations Manager will be responsible for leading the Controlled Environment & Field Operations team responsible for our controlled environments in addition to supporting our specialty crops breeding which include but are not limited to Hemp, Canola, Oats, Peanuts, Potato, Soybean, Wheat, and Pulse crops. The incumbent will collaborate closely with cross-functional teams across R&D to develop and hand-off first generation gene edited products to downstream partners in order to deliver on Calyxt’s innovative healthy food and ingredient platform. This individual will also be critical for development and documentation of controlled environment protocols, pre-breeding, and additional processes to achieve high-throughput, and high-quality plant production in the above-mentioned species.
- Manage controlled growing environments and onsite field operations.
- Lead and develop a small team to streamline production processes, increase pipeline capacity, and improve plant quality.
- Perform and/or oversee development and improvement of controlled environment plant growth protocols.
- Champion workplace safety and lead development and improvement of plant growth facility safety protocols.
- Collaborate with scientists in the Gene Editing platform to ensure smooth transition of plants from the lab to the greenhouse.
- Direct plant crossing and early seed increases to support the Breeding platform.
- Cooperate with Quality and Regulatory functions to ensure compliance.
- Develop and test cultivar-specific crop improvements.
- Collaborate with R&D personnel in developing new products.
- Develop, monitor, and report on pipeline health & capacity key performance indicators.
- Lead by example establishing the right culture in the team.
- Master’s degree or Ph.D. in agronomy, horticulture, plant breeding, or related plant science field and 5 + years of industry experience in a high-throughput greenhouse production environment OR Bachelor’s degree in a relevant discipline with 10+ years of industry experience
- Experience growing and/or breeding any, or all, of the above-mentioned crop species with specific preference given to experience in Hemp, Cereals, and/or pulse crops.
- Working knowledge of environmental monitoring systems and software, seed processing equipment, and small farm equipment.
- Ability to lead and develop employees in plant growth disciplines to enhance their work performance.
- Ability to work independently and collaborate as a member of a dynamic pre-production team of scientists, technicians, and business analysts.
- Demonstrated ability to successfully work in a collaborative cross-functional team environment.
- Ability to independently design, conduct, analyze, and report experiments.
- Excellent communication skills both verbally and in writing.
- Knowledge and experience in plant breeding experimental designs & statistical analysis, and molecular breeding techniques.
- Demonstrated skill working with statistical analysis software.
- Willingness and comfort to troubleshoot new equipment and technology.
- Ability and willingness to obtain a pesticide applicator license.
Contact: Please send resume and motivation letter clx_CEFM_11firstname.lastname@example.org