Calyxt is seeking a highly motivated and result-oriented research associate to join our Controlled Environments and Field Operations team. The successful candidate will have an opportunity to work in a team environment and interact with experts in molecular biology, gene editing, plant transformation, breeding and horticulture. The individual will be part of a team responsible for maintaining the controlled environment facilities as well as plant growth and germplasm maintenance activities in support of our Gene Editing and Breeding platforms.
- Perform routine greenhouse and controlled environments maintenance duties.
- Perform plantings, horticultural care, and germplasm maintenance to support gene editing and breeding projects.
- Assist in planning and conducting experiments to improve plant care and plant growth operations.
- Identify platform bottlenecks and participate in implementation of process improvements.
- Establish and communicate organized workflows
- Plan and execute onsite field plantings and maintenance
- Operate field tractor and implements to perform onsite field plantings and cultivation maintenance
- Participate in method development for new crops and write standard operating procedures.
- Maintain full traceability of samples in laboratory information management systems.
- Document experimental design and results in a laboratory notebook.
- Maintain a safe and organized working environment.
- Bachelor’s in a biological science, horticulture, applied plant science, plant pathology, or other related science field.
- Experience in a horticultural or plant production setting.
- Demonstrated interest in plant science and plant breeding.
- Exceptional organizational skills and desire to define and streamline processes.
- Ability and willingness to perform repetitive manual tasks in the greenhouse or field condition for several hours.
- Ability and willingness to become a certified pesticide applicator and perform routine applications.
- Ability and willingness to perform weekend and holiday watering duties (on rotational basis).
- Intermediate proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite
- Experience working with legumes and cereal crops.
- Experience planning field plantings and operating tractor and farm implements
- Demonstrated ability to effectively communicate within and across teams and with managers to ensure collaborative success.
- Basic proficiency with statistical analysis
Contact: Please send resume and motivation letter to firstname.lastname@example.org